A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Friday, January 20, 2012

Doing It Right; From Form to Attitude

In my post The Things That Stick With You I talked about all the things that I learned from my weights class in high school that stuck with me over the years.  There is one of them I forgot to mention (there are perhaps more).  Using correct form during and exercise.  It was one of the first lessons we were taught and has become second nature to me.  I'm not going to perform an exercise, unless I am performing it correctly.  If I can't perform a exercise with the correct form at a certain weight, then I decrease the weight I am using to a weight where I can perform the exercise correctly.  Doing this prevents injuries in so many ways.

I realized I had forgotten about this just the other day as I was watching one of the personal trainers working with a client.  The client was a younger woman that was over weight.  The trainer was having her pull a rope pull that was attached to a weighted sled.  After the first two pulls she had a look on her face that fell somewhere between "are you nuts" and tears.  The first thing I noticed was the trainer's attitude.  The second was her form.  A combination that made me want to choke slam the idiot.

The Attitude
As I mentioned in The Things That Stick With You, these personal trainers are messy.  They leave the equipment they use on the floor most days and never put it back.  The one thing I will say is that they have a wall of success stories from clients they've worked with an have great energy when working with their clients.

. . . Usually.  This guy didn't really seem to care and had no energy.  No real words of encouragement and (granted I may have been reading into it) an attitude of "let's get this over with so I can work with someone else".

If you are a trainer, please, please, show your clients that you are engaged, interested and enthusiastic to be the one helping them reach their goals..  Not half of them, not 99% of them, but ALL of them.  Especially someone who is over weight, appears to have self esteem issues on top of self image issues.  You are not only their personal trainer, but also their life coach.  You are on their team and should be their biggest supporter.  Not just the person who's 30 minutes they are wasting until your next client.

The Form
Correct Form should be the foundation of ever exercise that you do or that you teach to people.  If you are not doing that, then you are not a personal trainer.  You are nothing more than a glorified workout buddy who happens to be getting paid for it.  Teach them the basics and the foundations to weight lifting and exercise.

In this instance, the form that the woman was using made the exercise that much harder and could have caused serious back injury.  Bending mostly at the waist and twisting awkwardly on each pull.  I wouldn't be surprised if she is really sore tomorrow from it.  What the trainer should have done was had her sit as if she were sitting in a chair, tighten the core, pull and stand up leaning slightly back.  That way she is not only using her arms and back for the pull but her whole body, making the lift more effective, safer, and actually easier.

Right after high school when I started college, I had planned on pursuing a career in physical therapy or personal training.  It's quite obvious that I love this stuff, but part way into my first semester I found out how much I would earn doing computer stuff. . . .
So here I am, working in IT and criticizing those that do what I had originally planned on doing for a career. Go figure. Blogarama - The Blog Directory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com