A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rule #1: Cardio

Whether I like it or not, Cardio is an import piece of the "in shape" puzzle as a whole.  Truth is, I actually do like it.  I enjoy the feeling of being able to push myself beyond my previous limits of time and distance when it comes to doing Cardio.

As part of my explaining my workouts a little more in detail, I figured Cardio would be a good place to go next.  To my way of thinking, it is one of most important keys if you want to lose weight and stay in shape.  Not to mention keep you ahead of the zombie hordes (as well as the slow and feeble) come the zombie apocalypse.

The cardio that I do on the Elliptical Machine is pretty well explained in my first two posts, Me vs. The Scale (01/10/2012) and Week 1 - The Beginning . . . well sort of (01/16/2012).  So I will skip that and move right into the dreaded Treadmill workout that I began started the Friday of Week 1.

Inspired by a friend who is doing the Couch to 5K program, and forced by the treadmill being the only open machine last Friday.

The basics of the 9 week program is that you run three times per week.  The first week you warm up with a 5 minute "brisk" walk, then alternate between running for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes including the warm up.  Each week the program increases the amount that you run until at the very end you are running (read as jogging) for 30 minutes or 3 miles.

There are different versions that you can find of this for treadmill and outdoor running.  Currently I am only running on the treadmill.  I can't really say if I am a fare-weather runner, and indoor runner, or an outdoor runner.  Being that I just started, it is something that I'll have to test out, but I'm pretty sure that I'm a fare-weather runner.

One thing I was gleefully exited to find yesterday morning when I went to run on the treadmill is that there is a custom interval workout that you can select.  It will ask you the "Rest Time", the "Work Time" and "How Many Intervals".  This will only work for the first two weeks.  After that, weeks 3 through 6 vary in the intervals so this setting won't work unless you can manually adjust the time after the first set of intervals and then back after the second set of intervals . . . lather, rinse and repeat.

If you are interested in doing this, here is the quick & easy of how to setup the treadmill.

1)  Select the Manual workout mode and walk briskly for 3.5 minutes (after stretching of coarse).
     The reason for 3.5 minutes instead of 5 is that the Interval workout starts with walking.

2)  Select the Custom Interval workout.

3)  Enter the "Rest Time" & "Rest Speed".

4)  Enter the "Work Time" & "Work Speed".

5)  Enter the "How Many Intervals" and press Start.

So now you are probably asking, how many intervals?  If you are in your first week where you are walking for 90 seconds and running for 60 seconds, it would be 6 intervals to equal the 15 minutes.  Personally I do 8 intervals, which puts me at 20 minutes.  Being that I run after my weights and ab/core routine, I am already stretched and warmed up enough.

Week 2 doesn't work out so nicely with the timing.  Doing 4 intervals will get you 14 minutes and 5 intervals will get you 17.5 minutes.  For me, I'll be doing 6 intervals, which will put me at 21 minutes of running.

For any Android & iPhone peeps, there is an app for that!!  I don't use iPhone, so I don't know where or how to search for that App, but clicking the Android link above will bring you to the search results on the Android Market website.  I've downloaded the free C25K by Guy Hoffman, but haven't tried it yet.  Once I do, I'll post my thoughts on it.

Until then, Happy Running!

Fitness Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com