A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Monday, January 16, 2012

Week 1 - The Beginning . . . well sort of


Aside from my “check-ins” that I will most likely do off and on throughout the week, I am going to try post a weekly update for those following along (as well as for myself).  I will give a recap of the past week, an outlook for the following week, and whatever random thoughts happen to spill out along the way.

I also want to point out that while I may give “tips” here and there that I am in no way a personal trainer, or anything of the like.  I’m am just a guy who has spent a lot of time in my life in the gym.  I enjoy it and I enjoy sharing that with people.  Always trust your “certified” professional when it comes to anything health, fitness, or nutrition related.  

LAST WEEK - WEEK 0
So last week was the “warm-up” week, or week zero.  The plan was to do cardio(elliptical) all week and toss is a day or two of weights to get a feel for what weights I will use for each exercise.  Monday & Tuesday were elliptical only, Wednesday I added the weights. . . and that is where the week stopped for me.  Wednesday was an amazing workout, however during one of the lifts I felt a twinge or a tweak in my neck.  Ever since I have had a pinched feeling that goes from my neck down into the back/shoulder.  From what I can tell, I pinched a nerve.  So I spent the rest of the week nursing it.  Despite all that, for the week I did a grand total of 100 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and 20 minutes of weights.

TIP # . . . AS IF I AM COUNTING
I know if my first note had stated that it is more important just to make it into the gym and do something and that it doesn’t have to be exactly the workout you planned.  So you only made it to the gym and did 20 minutes on the treadmill. . . well, that’s 20 minutes more than not going at all.

Herein lies my next bit of advice when working out.  Don’t let the fact that you had to take a day (or 4) off from your workout get you down.  Over doing it will only make injuries worse & more frequent.  Take it easy and don’t obsess/stress about it.  Take the down time your body needs and then get back in the gym when you can.  

WEIGH IN!!!
Once every four weeks I plan to weigh in and I will share that information here as well.  I am also taking measurements at the same time, which is something I have never done before.  I will most likely not share those until I make my goal at the very end.  

I did weigh myself at the beginning of last week even though today is my “official” start.  Today I weighed myself and took full measurements (I seem to be stepping on the scale an awful lot for a guy who claims not to be focused on weight!).  Last weeks weight was 266, today’s was 260!!  I’m sure there is a bunch of factors that equal to that -6lbs, but it makes me happy non-the-less.  

YET ANOTHER TIP . . . WEIGHING YOURSELF
So when I say that I am not someone who is to focused on weight, what I mean is that if at the end of this I fit back into my pants from a little over a year ago but end up gaining a ton of muscle and end up at 225 lbs instead of 220 . . . I will be perfectly happy with that.

When people ask advice about losing weight, one of the things I tell them is not step on the scale very often.  Do it at specific intervals during your weight loss plan.  Once a month is a great time in my opinion.  A lot of people over obsess about their weight on a day-to-day or weekly basis.  There are so many variables that can affect your weight day in and day out.  

That six pounds I lost since last week can come right back for many reasons.  With my workout plan, I will be gaining a lot of muscle the first couple of weeks.  With that comes an increase in weight.  It is after week 3 or week 4 that I will actually start to see a change in the number I see on the scale.  Even though my weight may increase, my pants may start to fit better.  For a lot of people, they’ll think “hey!  my clothes are loose!”.  Yet the second they step on the scale and see and increase, or no change in weight, and they get depressed.  

Wait until the first month is over to weigh in.  You’ll see greater results, and more accurate for that matter.  

One thing that I would like to mention is that my workout plan is focused mostly on exercises where I will end up gaining muscle.  Creating lean muscle mass causes in increase in metabolism.  The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you will burn throughout the day.  Because my plan focuses on weights and not on cardio, I will see an increase in weight before I see a decrease in weight.  If you are focusing on a cardio plan, that increase won’t be as apparent to you.  Your gender, age, body type & diet are also varying factors in this equation.

THIS WEEK - WEEK 1
So it begins!  
In my weekly forecast, I will provide a little more detail into the plan that I have laid out for myself.  At this point, I have no idea how long these workouts will take me.  These workouts may adjust here and there due to time.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
These three days will be weights.  Each of these days the actual exercise used will be a variation from the exercises used in the other two days.  

One thing I kept from the Bigger, Faster, Stronger workouts in high school is that each week I change the set/rep each week.  While I am doing the same routine each week, I am hitting the muscles in a different way.  First week is 3 X 10, where I do 3 sets of 8-10 reps for each of the weights exercises.  In the weights exercises, I hit ever part of my body, head to toe, one exercise per area.  

After weights will be Abs/Core exercises.  These will not change much each week.  I will shoot to do 15-25 reps per exercise.  

After Abs/Core will be Cardio.  I will either do Plyrometrics or the Elliptical, or both, depending on how much time I have left for my workout.

Tuesday & Thursday
These days will be the Kettle Bell workout & cardio/elliptical.  

Why Kettle Bell?  Because I love it!  The workout I have put together hits just about every part of my body and many of them are “combo moves” that use more than one part of your body’s muscles to complete the movement.  There is also a huge focus on core muscles and balance as well as the fact that it gets you sweating & breathing hard.  A good combination of weights and cardio all in one.

These may vary a bit on the rep/set.  I find that 2 sets of 8-10 seems to work pretty well, but I will allow myself the freedom to change that up at times.  

For the cardio/elliptical, I plan to do about 30-45 minutes on the elliptical.  Although I may substitute in an P90X video now and then.  YogaX, CardioX, & KenpoX are all options.


Blogarama - The Blog Directory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com