A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekly Update; Up Next - Week 2

WEEK 1 RECAP
After a five day love/hate relationship, I bid farewell to Week 1.  I couldn't be more happy to see it in the rear view mirror.  In the first week of a workout where you use weights or other equipment there is an extra amount of time that you workouts will take.  This is mostly because you need to take time to figure out which weights you need for each exercise.  Week one is like you trial and error week.  You try a weight for curls and halfway through the second set, you realize you need a lighter weight.  Or you are doing chest press and you realize that you need a heavier weight.  Not to mention the extra time you need to get acquainted with where everything is in the gym if you are unfamiliar with it.

Despite the "love/hate" relationship with Week 1, it was an awesome week.  I feel great!  I feel stronger, healthier, and more energetic.

There wan't very much deviation from the workouts that I had planned.  I did change a few of the lifts that I had selected for equivalent lifts, but everything else stayed the same . . . until Friday that is.

The Treadmill!!!!!
I guess Friday after work is when everyone hit's the gym.  I was able to do my weights & ab/core workout without issue, but when I went to jump on the elliptical there were none available.  There was however a treadmill open  . . . I hate my life.

I'm not the type of person that gives up when I am in the gym.  I workout out until my workout is complete unless an injury prevents me from doing so.  For those of you that know me, you know that I'm not a runner.  I'm the guy that always states that I'm not a runner and jokes about it.

I stood and stared at the empty treadmill for a while (in truth it was probably about 5 seconds or less . . . but that's less dramatic) before my trepidation was overcome by my need to complete my workout for the day.  So I jumped on the treadmill and began to run.

I'm not going to lie, it was a challenge and I planned on giving up several times.  I ran for the first two minutes, walked at a brisk pace for a minute before running another two minutes, then continued to do a minute of running and a minute of walking until I hit 15 minutes.  It was a great workout, I felt as if I had pushed myself harder than I had all week.  A victory of sorts if you will.

This reminded me of a friend of mine who is doing the Couch To 5K program.  A program where you use a similar method to what I did on the treadmill to work yourself up from not running at all to being able to run a 5K without stopping.  Despite me "not being a runner", I will be adding this program in my own form to my weekly workouts.  This will replace the elliptical machine workouts about 3 times per week.

PS:  Basketball was one of my biggest addictions from the time I was in 3rd grade until I was in my 20's.  So to say that I am not a runner is load of crap.  I just grew to lazy and hid behind the excuse to avoid running.

WEEK 2 OUTLOOK
This week will be the same as last week with two differences.  The first difference of coarse is the change from the elliptical workouts to the running workouts.  The second difference is the planned change in the Set/Rep used for the week.  Last week was 3 X 8-10, and this week will be 5 X 5.  With this Set/Rep format the weights will vary here and there from last week, but not by much.  The only issue with a 5 X 5 week is that the workouts tend to take a little longer than the previous week.  Oddly enough it is less total reps, but it is broken up more and therefore more "rest" periods are taken, overall making the workout a bit longer.

That is all I have for now.  One week down and three to go until the next weigh in. Blogarama - The Blog Directory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com