A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"What's In A Name?" Or "Soreness Abounds!"

What's In A Name?
I thought it would take me forever to come up with a name for this blog.  However I proved myself wrong and came up with the name fairly quickly . . . in under 30 minutes I would almost figure it to be a world record.

So why "A Merry Rogue"?  For those of you that know me, you also know that I play the part of Will Scarlet for the Robin Hood show at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival.  So "A Merry Rogue" seemed fitting being that fitness is a large part of playing that part.  It is also likely that you will see posts about stage combat, rehearsals, script writing and more.  So even though this blog was started based upon my efforts to get back into shape, it will likely develop into something different in the future.

Photo by James P Jordan Photography

One of the things I enjoy the most about playing Will at the renaissance festival is the people that I work with.  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with.  The friendship and relationship we have with each other plays a huge part in our group dynamic.  At any given time we are somewhere between The Three Musketeers and The Three Stooges.  There are more than three of us, but I can't really think of a more apt description.  As one of our co-horts and photographers Jim Jordan posted as a caption to the following photo: "Sean and the rest of the bunch have way too much fun doing this!".


I don't know about "way too much fun", but we definitely have a blast portraying these characters for 7 weekends every year.  Don't let the laughter fool you, we take our merriment making very seriously in Sherwood.  If by chance you see a serious face in our group, it is most likely that they are the object of the rest of our laughter. . . just ask Robin Hood himself!

I'm sure I'll be posting more on my work at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival in the near future, until then . . .

Soreness Abounds!

If you are someone who exercises, you know exactly what I am going to talk about.  If you aren't someone who works out but are considering starting, consider the following another tip an a warning.

It is only day two of my workout plan and I am sore from head to toe.  Last weeks workouts were mostly cardio and one day of light weights.  Nothing serious.  Just enough to get my body moving and the blood and sweat flowing.  Monday's workout on the other hand was intense.  A reality check if you will in where I am exactly in strength, flexibility, and endurance.  Today's workout (Tuesday) was much the same.  Needless to say, I am sore.

So why exactly am I sore?  Any strenuous activity that our bodies are unaccustomed to leads to physical stress on our muscles.  The stress causes our muscles to stretch, and even causes small tears in the muscle tissue.  That is the cause of the soreness, as well as how our muscles get leaner & stronger.  After all this stretching and tearing our muscles rebuild themselves to adapt to the new activity and become stronger as a result.

So what do you do about the soreness?  Push through it!  Keep going.  The only way to get past the muscle soreness is to keep up the activity.  If you stop and rest, then you have to restart all over again and you'll be just as sore as the last time.  I was always told that day 3 & 4 are usually the worst, and I have through experience found this to be true (I am really going to dislike moving tomorrow).

As always, stretch & warm-up before a workout or any physical activity.  Especially if you are sore!  It will only lead to injury if you don't.  If the soreness is accompanied by any sharp pains, STOP!  If you ever have any doubts what-so-ever, seek the advice of a medical professional.  I am not one, and you should take their advice or mine any day.



Blogarama - The Blog Directory

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com