A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Awesome and The Ouch

THE AWESOME
So yesterday my friend and roommate John and I worked out together.  It was awesome to have a workout partner to change things up a bit.  The biggest difference is in the amount of weight that I used for each exercise.  With this week being 5-4-3-2-1 for the Rep/Set format it was definitely needed.  For each set you do less reps but you add more weight with the last set being to failure.  As I mentioned yesterday, pushing yourself to failure is difficult in a lot of exercises.  There is often too much of a risk of injury in pushing yourself to failure.

Just as an example, the last time that I did decline dumbbell press I did five sets of five reps and used 50lb dumbbells in each hand.  This week, for the last set I used 80lb dumbbells and was able to push out 6 reps.

So if you find your workouts becoming a bit stale, or finding yourself at a plateau with weight loss of strength, then find yourself a workout partner.  If definitely will give you that boost you need in your workout (and theirs).

The funniest part of the session at the gym was the looks we got now and then from some of the other people.  Most people left the type of gym atmosphere where people yell, grunt, & encourage each other back in high school or college.  You can read my post The Things That Stick With You, to read a bit more about that type of atmosphere.

THE OUCH
On Monday when I was running on the treadmill doing my Couch 2 5K program (you can read more about that here Rule #1: Cardio), I had a couple of times where I felt as if the track on the treadmill slipped forward a bit.  I didn't really think much of it, but Tuesday morning there was definitely a bit of soreness in my left knee.  Which ended up getting better as the day went on.  Wednesday ended up being a similar story, but after running on the treadmill after an amazing workout I find myself favoring that knee a bit more than I should.  So after some ice and ibuprofen it feels a bit better, but I wonder if I didn't push it a little too hard.

This morning it was still a bit sore, but not as bad as right after the Treadmill yesterday.  However I still decided to take it a little easier today.  I still had a great workout despite taking it easy.  We will see how it is tomorrow morning and I'll decide then whether I run or not.  If so, I will most likely push the running to Saturday or Sunday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com