A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

In Case of Plateau . . . plan ahead

KNEE UPDATE
After two days of R.I.C.E (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) . . . plus some ibuprofen, my knee is feeling much better.  The amount of pain that I am feeling has reduced greatly.  As I said in yesterday's post Keep Going!, that changes nothing.  I will continue to do the same things I have for the past two days that have made my knee feel this great up until I have it examined by the Ortho next week.

A few years ago in this situation I may have made the same mistake that many people make with an injury.  They are prescribed to rest, ice, compress, and elevate and take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory.  Yet the second they start to feel better, they stop.  Then when the injury starts to hurt again they go to the doctor again and ask why it started to hurt again.  "But it felt better" is what they end up saying.  Well dummy, you stopped doing the things that are supposed to make it not hurt . . . of coarse it started to hurt again.

OVERCOMING OBSTACLES
One thing this whole knee issues has made me think about is trying to find ways to get a little leg work in.  Yet every option I think of or find uses the knee.

. . . except one.  The machine that I refer to as the Susan Summers Thigh Master on steroids.  The hip abductor/adductor machine.  This is the machine where you can either push your legs out or push your legs in against resistance.  The thought of using that machine terrifies me, but in the quest to find a way to keep working my lower body to some extent . . . this would appear to be the only option.  I haven't used it yet. . . mostly for fear that the cosmos will revoke my "Man Card" the second I sit on the machine.

BREAKING A PLATEAU
As I may have mentioned before, my plan is to change up my routine after about three months to another type of workout.  Even though the first month of those three months isn't even over yet, I have begun to work on creating new workout.  Honestly though, I started on this last week.

One of the keys to muscle growth and weight loss is changing up your workout routine ever so often.  You body adapts constantly to new situations and stresses.  When you are on the same workout plan for to long your body will accommodate and you will stop loosing weight/gaining muscle.  When you change your workout, you are making your body have to switch gears again and begin to adapt all over again.

As my friend Ted mentioned in his blog post yesterday, he is taking it so far as to change his routine every week . . . and her you though I was insane.

In my current weight lifting portion of my plan I do not perform a single exercise twice during a week.  There is always a modification or variation.  Each exercise is picked so that it works the muscle in a different way.  Add onto that the fact that I change the set/rep every week and you have a formula of a workout that will not grow stale for a very long time.

However there is another variable, your mind.  It is very easy to become bored with a certain workout routine. The more you do it, the more you become familiar with it and get closer and closer to becoming bored with it.

Which is why I am starting now to have a plan to change the workout after three months.  I haven't exactly decided yet what I will change it to.  I already have one or two that I've used in the past that will work nicely.  I am also in the process of creating another workout routine that will use mostly body weight for every exercise.  Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips, Plyrometrics . . . etc.  The biggest reason for wanted to add this type of workout into my plan is simply because I can not perform some of the exercises.  I've always stayed away from pull ups and push ups due to shoulder issues, but really would like to see if I can work myself back up to doing them.  It is also a great way to not only increase your strength, but also to increase your endurance and metabolism.  A phenomenal combination that will shred fat of your body.

I am still researching different body weight exercises to find the best ones to put together and create an amazing workout plan that will kick my butt.  This style of workout I would only probably do for about one four week cycle before reverting to another workout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com