A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Keep going! (Read as: "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming)

I am very much like most people.  If there is an excuse I can make to convince myself not to do something, I'll make it.  Especially when it comes to working out.


Yesterday I called and made an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor for my knee.  If you have been following along you already know that I tweaked it last week on the treadmill (The Awesome and The Ouch).  As a friend commented on my Facebook post yesterday, there may be something more wrong than just a bruised knee if it has been hurting for a week or more.  The more I thought about it, the more sense it made, therefore the call to the doc's office to make an appointment. 

The specific thing that my friend pointed out is that it could be a tear in the meniscus tissue.  Which is the tissue in your knee that absorbs impact.  Normally I would have dismissed it and let it go for a while, but I had a similar (yet more severe) knee injury back in high school.  Full contusion of the soft tissues around the right knee, partially torn ligament, torn meniscus, and a cyst that formed right next to the main nerve in my leg.  Two surgeries later and 33% of the meniscus removed and I haven't had a problem since.  

This "tweak", as I call it, to my left knee is very similar.  The first is that it actually took several days to become apparent that there was something wrong.  Then the slight discoloration around the knee indicating a bruise, stiffness, and now sharp pain on the right side of the knee (the possible tear).   

I've been through surgery enough to know I don't want to do it again.  So that is why I made the call to make an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor.  I am also elevating & icing it when I can and also wearing a knee brace during the day when I cannot elevate and ice.  

I just want to say thank you to my friend who made the comment.  I probably would have ignored it much longer than I should have if he didn't say something.

So what does this all have to do with the title of this blog post and the first paragraph?!  The point is that I still went to the gym yesterday and today.  I will also continue to go the rest of the week.  I have removed any exercises that involve my legs and would force my knee to twist or bend.    I am doing and upper body circuit training routine.  Each lift or machine I am doing 20-25 reps and I do as many rotations as I can in 45 minutes.  

Yesterday was a challenge to make myself sweat.  Today (the day I almost gave myself an excuse not to go) I did sweat, big time.  

As I mentioned in Me vs. The Scale, one of my minimum goals is to make it to the gym every day whether I want to or not.  I am going to make that goal.  

The one last thing that I want to say about this is that you and I need to be smart about this.  We only have one body and lifting wrong and pushing yourself to hard can cause permanent injuries.  I'm not saying this isn't a gray area.  Which is why you have to pay attention to your body and perform each exercise with the correct form and intention.  You need to find that line between pushing yourself beyond your limits, but not beyond your bodies breaking point.

I am paying attention to my knee with everything I do.  I have one week before my appointment and I am not going to take any chances.  I don't care if I wake up tomorrow and my knee feels 110%, I will not use it until I am absolutely sure of what is wrong with it and have my doctors OK to start working it again.  

I'll make sure to keep you all updated as to what goes on with the knee.  But before that happens we have the "weigh in" at the end of this week.  

. . . I really need to find a new term for this.  I hate "weigh in".  It's like I'm in my own personal Biggest Loser hell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com