A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Friday, February 17, 2012

Knee Update, Breaks, and Changing Gears

KNEE UPDATE
First off an update on the knee.  Wednesday I went to see my Orthopedic doctor to get the knee checked out.  We started off by taking X-rays and found nothing there.  In fact he said my knees are in excellent condition.  The spacing between the bones and the placement of the kneecap is ideal.  After a physical examination of the knee, the point where I am having pain (and is very tender when pressure is applied *ouch*) indicates possible damage to either the medial collateral ligament or the medial meniscus.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows what a ligament, but to be specific, the medial collateral ligament (name Tibial collateral Ligament in the image below) is the one that runs vertically on inner side of your knee.  The meniscus is the padding in your knee partially fills the cavity of the joint and acts as a cushion of shock absorbing padding prevent your Femur and Tibia from coming in contact with each other.


I had received a call from the doctor yesterday with my results but was unable to take the call.  He left a voicemail for me to call him back.  I returned the call and proceeded to argue and play "hide-and-go-phone-seek" for about 45 minutes before I was finally allowed to leave him a voicemail at his office.  Evidently when someone calls from any of the clinics anywhere in the twin cities area the caller ID will display a generic number.  No one was able to tell me where he was calling from and he didn't leave a direct line to call him back on.  So here it is Friday morning and I have yet to hear my results.

**UPDATE**
I got the call from the doctor this morning and he had both good and bad news for me.  The MRI revealed that I did not tear any of the soft tissue in my knee.  The second piece of the good news is that I will not require any surgery.  The bad news is that I have a stress fracture in my knee.  My orders are to continue what I have been doing over the  past week and a half.  No weights, running, or jumping for the next 4-6 weeks.  At the end of that time period we will do a clinical exam and x-rays to determine if I am fully healed and can begin exercising again.

CHANGING GEARS
As anyone who has had an injury can attest to, I have been a bit down the past few days this week about not being able to workout with my lower body.  If you have been following along you also know that for the past week and a half I have been working with different upper body workouts while in the gym.  Wednesday morning I got to the point where I had worn myself out.  I had been pushing and pushing to keep myself in the gym and trying to workout every day.  Then on Wednesday and Thursday I took a break.  Some of it was due to the fact that I just didn't make the time and another part of it was that I was just burned out.

Now I have already heard it from a few people and I want to say this now.  This isn't me making excuses to not workout.  It's not about pushing through it and sticking with it.  The game has changed and I am doing what is healthy and right for my body.  Now some of you may still disagree with me and if so, please do say so.  Even if I disagree it doesn't mean that I don't want to hear your opinion.  So feel free to speak up if you feel the urge to do so.

So after doing some reading and discussions with my bro Ted (check out his blog here), I have changed my workout schedule.  I am still ironing out a few of the details and looking through what I have to fill in some days here and there, this is what I have come up with.

First, I will be lowering my calorie intake.  My normal diet that I was using over the past few weeks was to support my bodies needs based upon me working out for and hour and half.  With cardio being taken out of the equation and the need to give my upper body rest.  I don't need nearly as many calories as I was taking in.

The second change is that I will be focusing on strength and building muscle on the upper body.  In order to do that I have changed a few of the exercises I am doing and will have two rest days in between each lifting day.  One part that needs to be ironed out hinges on finding out exactly what is going on with my knee.  I plan on trying out several leg exercises where you do not move your knee.  There are several that I did after my right knee surgery back in high school that I remembered and would like to try.  I will only do these with the doctor's OK.

That part that I am still ironing out is what I will do on the rest days.  I would like to have some activity of sorts, but there is only so much that I can do.  One option that I am looking at is X Stretch from P90X.  It is roughly one hour of stretching.  You (well, I do anyway) workout a very light sweat through the whole thing. There are most likely several stretches that I will be unable to perform depending on how much I have to bend my knee or how much pressure is put on the knee.  Another idea is Core Synergistics from P90X.  Most of the movements in this workout are preformed on the floor.  There are however several that I recall that I know I will have to skip.  If any of you out there have any ideas for workouts on the filler days that wouldn't involve upper body weight lifting or any lower body movement, shoot me a message or leave a comment.

This biggest thing with all of this is that it is going to change my goals.  I am going to continue to monitor my weight every month as well as my measurements.  My focus will still be loosing body fat and getting back in shape, but without cardio or lower body workouts as an option I am pretty limited in what I can do to really push towards those goals.  Once I find out what is going on with the knee, I can get a better grasp of what I will need to do going forward.

I truly appreciate all the thoughts, energy, & prayers as well as welcome them from any and all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com