A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekly Update: First Weigh in

WEEK 4 RECAP

Week 4 was nothing like I thought it would be.  After a knee injury in week 3, I had to do some creative re-configuring of the workout plan.  On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I did a circuit training routine that varied a little from day to day.  For the most part I did a grouping of exercises that hit all the areas of the upper body.  Shoulders, biceps, chest, triceps & back .  For the Rep/Sets I did 20 to 25 reps for 3 to 4 sets.  Thursday and Friday I changed it up and did super-sets.  Thursday was chest and back, while Friday was shoulders and arms.

All in all it turned out to be a great week in the gym.

THE WEIGH IN!
So if you recall back to Week 1 - The Beginning . . . well sort of, I started this journey at 266 lbs.  There is one error in the same post that I would like to correct.  When I weighed myself on January 16th the scale read 260 lbs.  However I have found since then that the scale is off by about 5 lbs.  Anyway, here are the results.

Weight on 01/09/2012:  266
Weight on 02/13/2012:  259

That's right!  Down 7 lbs!  Definitely a success in my books.  Especially given the fact that I've gained some muscle as well.  As I've mentioned before, that is part of a weight lifting routine.  The first few weeks, you'll likely see some gains in weight if you were to check the scale on a weekly basis.  Looking at the weight alone, you'd think that was pretty decent work for one month.  Now, add in the measurements.  I won't bore you with specifics, so I'll give you the major ones and group them as well.

Losses:  Chest (-.5 inches), Stomach (-2.5 inches), Waist (-1 inch), Hips (-1 inch)

Gains:  Biceps (+.5 inches), Forearms (+.25 inches)

There were a couple of interesting changes.  First was the Shoulders. . . which was actually no change at all. Yet there are some definite changes there in muscle tone.  The other were the increases in my upper arm and forearm measurements.  I listed the forearms as .25 inches gained, but the measurement is actually a .50 increase in size.  The reason I am listing .25 inches is that I am not certain that where I measured this time was the same as last time.

Basically what all of this says is that I've probably lost more than just 7 lbs of fat, but the scale is a dirty lying fiend.  I've obviously gained muscle as well, which changes that number.  Had I been able to do one of the tests to check fat percentage on the various areas of my body during my weigh ins, we would probably be able to see that change a little more accurately.  

TIP #SOMETHING
If I am not mistaken, a lot of people will tell you this very same thing.  When you weigh yourself, always use the same scale if possible.  That way you can be more confident that the number you are seeing is your actual weight.

WEEK 5 OUTLOOK
I would be lying if I didn't say that I was a little disappointed in the fact that I cannot do cardio.  It makes my weeks look that much more daunting to me.  After some thinking and experimenting with stuff during Week 4, I have decided on the following changes to my routine.

The only changes to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is that I will not be doing the Treadmill, so I will be replacing that with a bit more intensive abs/core routine.  I already get my heart rate up pretty high when I lift weights, so burning calories won't be an issue.  Week 5 is back to the 3X10 Set/Rep format.

Tuesday and Thursday were the days that caused me a bit of frustration in trying to figure out what to do.  I really don't want to lift weights on these days, but with the knee out of it my options are limited.  So I have decided to try a true cardio routine on these days.  The difference between this routine and what I did in Week 4 is that I won't set a goal for total reps.  Instead I will do 30-60 seconds on each machine and move to the next.  Between circuits I will rest for about 60 to 90 seconds and then dive right back into the next circuit.

The one sad part about the beginning of week 5 is that I forgot to print out my workout sheet last Friday.  So this morning I had to "wing it" and go off the top of my head.  I am happy to say that I wasn't too far off from the actual workouts I was supposed to do this week.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com