A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weekly Update; Knees and How To Survive The Apocalypse


With several hours to kill waiting for our vehicle to get a tune up and an oil change, what better way to spend and early Sunday morning that sitting in the sun, drinking coffee, and writing my weekly update.  Of coarse when you start the day off by being able to go one more notch smaller on your belt . . . how could it not be a great day!?

WEEK 5 RECAP:
Despite being a screwed up week in regards to schedule, it was still a great week.  I did take two days off in the middle of the week just to re-cooperate and get my bearings.  I also went with my friend Ted to workout at his work on Saturday morning and had a great workout.

If you didn't read Friday's post then I'll give you the short version of the knee update.  I went and saw an orthopedic doctor for my knee issue and got an MRI on Wednesday.  What they found was that instead of the possible damage to the soft tissue of the knee it turns out that I have a stress fracture in the knee.  Current orders are no lower body exercises that would put too much pressure on the knee for the next 4 to 6 weeks.  At the end of the 6 weeks I have an appointment to have a clinical exam to make sure that the knee is healed and talk about how to ease back into exercising.

As a result of this and only being able to workout with my upper body, I have made several changes to my workout program.  I will still work towards my goal of weight loss, but I will also be making a change to focus on a strength training program for my upper body, abs, and core muscles.

WEEK 6 OUTLOOK
As I mentioned in Friday's post, I will be lifting weights on the first day, then will follow that with 2 days of rest. The day immediately after lifting weights I will be doing the Stretch X video from P90X.  Which is roughly an hour long video of stretching where by the end I have a nice light sweat and feel amazing.  The second day I plan on doing (trying) a version of Kenpo X that friend of mine had pointed out.  Basically only doing the upper body portion of the video.  The second time that I have a two day break I will do Stretch X on the first day, and Core Synergistics on the second day.

The weight lifting days I have three workouts that I will rotate between, creatively named "Workout A", "Workout B", and "Workout C".  . . . I know, I should come up with titles for a living!  Each workout contains 5 upper body exercises.  I do have lower body lifts listed on the sheets, but they are grayed out until I can perform those.  Each routine has a variation of each exercise that is different.  For example, in "A" I will do a standard chest press, and in "B" I will a decline press, and in "C" an incline press.  Each exercise in a routine is picked to specifically work the muscle different than the other two routines.

I am really looking forward to this routine and continuing to see the changes.  As I mentioned in the opening paragraph, finding that your belt goes one more notch smaller is an amazing feeling.  I am also seeing a lot of changes in the mirror.  This is all the result of all the work that I've done to this point.  The lean muscle I have packed on might have slowed the progress I see in the scale at first, but the visual changes and the changes in the way my clothes fit are proof that the scale lies to you.

SURVIVAL
So on to a top not really related to my fitness and weight loss.  I have always found post-apocalyptic scenarios very intriguing to me.  From watching The Colony on Netflix, to reading the Dies The Fire series by S.M. Stirling, I never tire of watching & reading stuff about what it would take to live in a world where the rules change so drastically that it challenges what we think, what we believe, and how we live.

So this morning when I saw Drew's post over at Rogue Priest about an acquaintance of his that was going to enter a year long program where you learn to live off the land, create your own clothes, I was exited to read more about it.  If you are like me and enjoy the subject, head on over to Drew's blog and read, follow the links to the programs site and read more.

I've always wondered exactly how well I would be able to survive should the world change.  I know I have some of the right skills that it would take but it is something entirely different to think that you have it versus actually doing it.  I couldn't think of a better way than a year long program to teach you exactly what you would need to know to survive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com