A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Excuse the dust

You'll have to *cough* excuse the dust cloud as I dust off this blog.  It has been a while since my last post (. . .ok, quite a while!).

I've never been one to share my thoughts on a regular basis.  I'm quite surprised that I made it as long as I did at the beginning of the year.  Now, here we sit at almost the halfway point in the year and I am not as near to my goals as I had planned at the beginning of the year.

SINCE MY LAST POST . . . 
From about the end of February/beginning of March, I have not kept a consistent workout routine.  I hit the gym here and there as well as kept my diet the same.  I have seen some improvements in the way my clothing fits, but not much else and I haven't stepped on a scale since the beginning of March.

Then two weeks ago I got my bike out of storage and began biking to work.  I am currently averaging 4 times per week where I am using the bike to commute to work.  The ride is just under 5 miles each way.  Going to work is a bit harder as it is up hill (coming out of the river valley), and going home is a much faster ride (going downhill most of the way).  On the days that I have not been able to ride to work I take about an 8 mile ride in the evenings.

Today I added a Kettlebell workout once I arrived at work.  Using the dumbbells I did a rough 20 minute single run-through of my routine that I was doing back in January.  Altogether it was a good workout despite having to use dumbbells.

THE PLAN GOING FORWARD
The plan now is to continue to ride to work at least 4 times per week with one additional ride somewhere int he week or weekend.  I have two different routes that I currently take, both about the same for mileage as well as difficulty (ie: hills).  There are two other routes that I have plans to take that have longer, steeper hills.  These I will use on the days that I am really looking for a challenge.

One different route that I am going to try today will take me an entirely different way.  I am completely unfamiliar with it and have no clue how difficult the ride will be.  It is a longer route (at 8.2 miles) but will also take my past an Anytime Fitness.

Which brings me to the second part of the plan.  Three times per week I plan to do a workout at the gym.  This week I am resurrecting the old Kettlebell routine.  As I found out this morning, I can do that routine using the dumbbells here at work if I am pressed for time.

I plan to change the workout routine each week.  Next week I will do the body weight routine that I created about a month back.  It is all push ups, pull ups, dips, and squats/lunges.  Hopefully I can still make it to work on the bike after this workout.  The week after that I will do my weight lifting routine.  Then restart the cycle all over again.

WHAT ELSE?
Other than exercise and biking, you'll probably start to see more and more posts about the planning a wedding, moving, and preparing for the Renaissance Festival.

Just as a teaser, here is a photo from last weekend where the Merry Men walked in the Cinco de Mayo parade in St. Paul, MN.  Mr. tall and handsome in the back there has lost 50lbs at last count (see his blog for that adventure.)

Wat (my son), Will (Me), Little John, Much, & Winter

You can also check out the Robin Hood and the Merry Men page on Facebook!


2 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com