A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mirror Mirror On The Wall

Sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself about where you are at.  This applies to just about every aspect of your life.  Work, home, diet, fitness . . . pants size.  Until you are honest with yourself certain things just aren't going to change.

It has been a year since I started this blog and not a whole lot has changed in terms of weight.  My pants size is a bit smaller . . . but hey, that could be from me stretching them out.  Gotta be honest with myself.

I was so proud I took a pic to send to my friend Ted.


So what's next?  Well I have already started a new workout . . . well tried at least. It started back in early December when I received a copy of Joe Manganiello's book Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted.  This book was the motivation & inspiration that I needed to get back in the gym.  Unfortunately I foolishly tried to jump into the workout right away.  The result?  I ended up over training and was in pain for a good week . . . which I then repeated the following week.

Before I continue, let me say this:  You should buy this book!!  The forward to this book was written by Arnold Scharzenegger.  Magnaniello's story is inspiring & compelling.  The meal plan is easy to follow, and the workout will destroy you!

I do have two cons about the book that I feel I need to point out since I am recommending this book.  The first is that there is no mention what-so-ever of stretching.  From the first time I stepped into a weight room, I had the concept beat into my memory.  Stretching is key training, and it's lack of mention in this book is a serious oversight.  Always stretch!  The second is that the book claims to be for anyone from beginners to pros.  While the inspirational story, meal plan and workout description can be used by anyone beginner to pro, the workout is not.  In fact I will say this; Unless you have been consistently lifting weights in the gym for at least 6-12 weeks, DO NOT try this workout right away.  Find yourself a beginner's workout plan and follow it for a while before stepping into this one.

. . . but seriously, go buy this book.

WHAT I CHANGED

So after two weeks of pain due to my own stupidity, I took the workout from the book and created a 6-12 week beginner's workout plan to follow.  This will accomplish two things.  The first being that I will get my muscles used to working out again and lower my required recovery time so that I can actually do the Evolution workout effectively.  Secondly it will also get me used to the lifts & exercises used in the Evolution workout.

For the workout I am doing 2-3 weeks of full-body weight lifting (M,W,F) and three days of Cardio with Abs in between.  Then I will do 2-3 weeks of a 3 day split, where each lifting day only focuses on two muscle groups per day.  Which is similar to the Evolution workout, which uses a 6 day split.  Once my recovery period has decreased, I will move into the actual Evolution workout.

I also refined my diet.  I cut back on some of the stuff that has slowly crept back in over the past few months.  The biggest is the cutting back of alcohol.  It is amazing the amount of calories that creep into your diet thanks to the booze-ahol.  Taking down a few drinks a week, or even one a day after work?  You might as well be eating a bag of chips.  The diet focuses on veggies & lean protein for the most part. 

Another thing that I have been working on is to replace the term "exercising" or "working out" with "training".  It is amazing what you mentally attach to certain terms.  In our culture terms like "exercising" and "workout out" have become negative terms.  Something we dread and hate.  Training is something we do to achieve goals . . . it serves a purpose (at least in my mind).  It is what I did in school to get ready for sports.

HOW'S IT WORKING?
So far it is working great.  I have completed the first week of the beginner's program I created and have lost a total of 7 pounds.  Not a bad start if I do say so myself.  As an added bonus, I can still move my arms.

GOING FORWARD
 I plan to keep posting at least once a week.  If you follow the blog and don't see a post, don't hesitate to poke me.  If you buy the book, drop me a line and let me know what you think of it.

The next few months are going to be crazy!!!  For those not aware, my wife and I are expecting twins in early April.  Between birthing classes, baby showers, work, training, and chores it looks to be a whirlwind start to 2014 for us!!

A little peek at Baby A & Baby B.
The Wife and myself.  Photo by our friend at M.C. Photography





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com