A Merry Rogue

One working Dad's journey to find "healthy".

Thursday, January 14, 2016

It's a Wrap! . . . for the Build Phase Anyway - Body Beast Day 25

I completed the final Build Shoulders workout this morning to close out the Build Phase of Body Beat.  Tomorrow is a rest day, then it's all Bulk for 6 weeks.

Today was the first day that I didn't break my previous weeks numbers (I keep track of everything and always look to lift more each time around).  However this was by design.  Starting with the 3rd round of Build, I really started to make sure I was focusing on form & tempo of the workouts.  I work out at the gym and don't follow the videos, so this takes a bit of extra effort and discipline on my part.  Since I began lifting weights in 9th grade, I was always focused on sports performance.  More speed, more power, more strength, more agility . . .etc.  I have never really focused on actually building size.  So while I had all the knowledge in my head about what hypertrophy (building mass) was and what it takes . . . that is entirely different than actually doing it.

Slow down, use perfect form, use those negatives (control the weight down), keep the rest periods short.

Usually someone would only go down in weight when they can't finish a rep on a single exercise.  In Body Beast, you have to worry about the next exercise too!!!  Don't be afraid to drop the weights so you can finish the workout without having to pause, stop or take extended breaks.  Keep pace with Sagi and the guys in the video.  Or if you are like me, pay attention to the rest periods in between and try to keep with it.


A NOTE ON MY SCHEDULE & DIET MODIFICATIONS:

For those just tuning in;  I did a mish-mash schedule where I am doing the Build Phase from the Lean Beast Schedule, but have added 3 days to finish out the 4th cycle of the workouts.  The original schedule ended on Build Back & Bis, and went into Bulk.  Skipping the last Beast Cardio & Abs and Build Shoulders workouts.  I extended the phase to include these.

For the Bulk Phase, I am actually switching to the Huge Beach schedule.  So 6 weeks of Bulk workouts sans the cardio that would have been interjected in the Lean schedule.

Then, once I am done with that I will be switching back to the Lean Schedule and doing the Beast Phase from that.

There are several reason for this.  First, the decision to add the 3 missing days to the Build phase . . . well, no reason really.  I just like to complete a round of workouts.  Ending on Back & Bis felt like I was missing that one last Cardio & Abs as well as Shoulders.

Switching to the Bulk Phase from Huge Beast was because despite eating 3200 calories (I chose the Ripped Plan), I dropped about 3-4 lbs during the Build phase (official numbers tomorrow).  I have adjusted that a bit and have bumbed my calories up to the 3400 plan (half way between the Mass & Ripped diets).

Then of coarse the decision to go back to the Beast Phase from Lean is because it is made to shred even more fat than the Huge schedule.

I chose to do Body Beast knowing that I would have to have patience.  The whole point it to gain muscle mass.  This delays the weight loss until towards the end.  While losing fat and getting to about 16% body fat is my initial goal . . . I am more than happy taking a bit longer route to get there.  In doing so, I want to get the most out of it.

I see a lot of people fail or get discouraged with Body Beast (because they "get fatter" or "aren't losing weight" . . . well, you didn't really take a look at what this program is designed to do, did you?  Have patience.  Put in the work, follow the diet and you'll be amazed at what this plan can do for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Contact our Support

Email us: vyk.tyrsson@gmail.com